Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nontraditional Casting FTW!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/theater/11hunt.html


This is NOT the first time this has happened, but Helen Hunt is playing the Stage Manager in Our Town off broadway right now, a role usually played by a man. Which is awesome.

I tried to do this earlier this year, in a local production of Willy Wonka. They posted a message on a local forum that they needed more adults for the show, so I called the director and asked if I could come to callbacks and audition for the role of Willy Wonka. Any guesses about what she said?

Admittedly, this was a very small theater, and it tends not to try anything too "out of the box." I was still pretty disappointed; how cool would that be?? At least Helen Hunt gets to live my dream.

Go read all about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment