Thursday, May 13, 2010

Iron Man 2

Did you see Iron Man 2? I saw it on Monday, and let me tell you something: Those people were trying too hard. But they were having a heck of a lot of fun.

I liked the performances, and I liked a lot of the dialogue. I was pretty much either laughing at the dialogue because it was funny, or because it was super-duper lame/cheesy. (A couple of times, my husband leaned over and said, "Stop laughing! That was lame!" To which I had to reply, "I know; that's why I laughed!")

I thought that the plot was a little forced, though. Mickey Rourke's character, Ivan Vanko, was this dangerous powerhouse, but I never felt like he got to cut loose and really wreak havoc. Where's the rampage through the streets? Where's the dangling the girl off a huge cliff, accompanied by the obligatory "save the girl or the bus full of children" moment? It was just, Oh, he's in prison. Oh, run before he blows something up. And then, in what really should have been the most bada** scene of all, Tony and Rhodey just kind of... win.

The other thing that was forced was Scarlett Johansson. Scarlett, what were you doing in this show? No, really. Why were you here? Besides enforcing the "hey, the guy whose purpose seems to be training and security is very bad at boxing and fighting!" gag, which I hated.

(Also, why did you take your hair down at the end, to fight the minion-guys? If I were going towards the huge fortress, knowing I was about to have an epic battle against the BadGuy (which you did), I'd be putting my hair UP, no matter how perfectly bouncy and curled it is. I'm just sayin'.)

Anyway, I found this cool article about Robert Downey, Jr. and Mickey Rourke in the movie. Here it is, for your pleasure.

1 comment: